Annual Gynecological Exams in Rochester and Penfield, NY
The highly trained OBGYNs at Genesee Valley Obstetrics & Gynecology are dedicated to providing the highest quality gynecologic care to women throughout Rochester. Routine examinations are a critical part of preventative care and help to ensure that any health issues are caught and treated early. Our OBGYNs will take the time to answer any questions you have about the exam and your health needs. Call our office in Rochester or Penfield, NY at (585) 641-0399 to request an appointment today!
How should I prepare for my exam?
The most important thing to do before your gynecological exam is research. Women should be prepared to discuss their family medical history and be ready for questions about their menstrual cycle. Some of the most commonly asked questions your provider may ask include:
- When was your last period?
- How long does your period typically last?
- What age did you start your period?
- Are you sexually active?
What should I expect for my annual exam?
The pelvic exam only lasts a few minutes and the exam itself doesn’t hurt. Most physicians will explain the process before beginning the exam, asking questions throughout the process is encouraged. The pelvic exam consists of the following steps:
- Your doctor will typically begin the annual exam with a breast exam to check for lumps that may be a sign of cancer which may require further breast cancer screening.
- Your physician will then check the external genital area for irritations, cysts or other problems.
- Next, the physician will insert a speculum, which is an instrument that is used to examine the cervix and vaginal walls. During this time, the doctor will also conduct a pap smear to check for cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- The last step in the physical exam is for the physician to check the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries by inserting gloved fingers into the vagina and pressing on the abdomen.
Not only does the annual exam ensure that you maintain good gynecological health, but it is also an opportunity for you to catch health problems in the early stages.
Schedule Your Annual Exam Online Today!
The highly-trained OB/GYNs at Genesee Valley Obstetrics & Gynecology have extensive experience performing annual exams at their office in Rochester and Penfield. During your exam, our providers will be sure to address any concerns and answer any health-related questions you may have. Call (585) 641-0399 to request an appointment at our OB/GYN office in Rochester or Penfield today!